Saturday, July 17, 2010

It is pouring rain here - we had a fine thunderstorm this evening. Netta was very excited and drew John a weather map after referencing the satellite photo on the computer.

We had a leak in our living room from a hole that had been drilled in the wall for a cable or something then the cable was pulled out. Tim suggested chewing gum in the hole and now it is fixed.

I haven't written in awhile as I was having trouble adjusting to the new house. It seemed kind of thrashed when we first got here. Remember I had only seen it once and it was on a day when we had tromped around seeing eight apartments. So maybe I had built it up in my mind as more than it actually is. Don't get me wrong it is great to have the space, great to have cheap rent, great to be in this neighborhood but the space is not new and it is funky compared to what I am used to (which is kind of crazy as I live in a funky house at home). Korean apartments do not come cleaned. There is no cleaning deposit so people can just leave them as dirty as they please. So there was a big pile of mess to be swept up and mold to be cleaned and other such lovely jobs right off the bat. And of course with the kids around no time to do it.

But I have bought some heinous cleaning supplies that I can't read the ingredients on and I have been scrubbing away. Hopefully they won't hurt us more than help us.

It has also been hard to have no fridge or stove for all of these days.

Some days right when we arrived I just wanted to run home. Somebody else's dirt is just not the same as your own.

Anyway I think I am getting used to it all. The fridge and stuff arrives tonight and hopefully that will help. I have cleaned some and gotten used to the dirt.

Positive things:
We have space - Olive can take a nap or go to bed before the rest of us do.
Netta has space to play
We have a great air conditioner
The park is fun - the kids have played there lots already.
We found a turkish kebab place close
John has an office
We don't have to worry that the kids will make a mess or break things here
The landlords are sweet - they are getting us a bed (Aug 7) and a stove
There is hot water
There is a bathtub
There are 2 toilets
We got a free microwave - so we can heat water and drink instant coffee
There are lots of shops close
The subway is close
We are all together

So I hope that will help me stop bitching.

I have been wanting to post a video I took of the apartment but it won't upload so I will post pictures in the next post.

Netta and Olive have been up and down during this big transition.

Olive has been talking so much. She likes to repeat things and sometimes repeats Korean things too. Like in the elevator when the voice says the floor she will repeat it. She also says kimbap which is Korean sushi.

Netta has been very grown up and independent. We have been giving her pocket money and she buys drinks or candy and shares with all of us. She has her own cell phone - we have no land line so it made sense to be able to reach her by phone. Of course she may not use it up to her ear - mostly she has been using it to listen to ring tones - over and over and over.


Hope that fills everyone in - I will post photos next.

No comments:

Post a Comment