Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hi well I skipped a day so maybe this will be an extra long post - if I get to finish it tonight.

So I will start with yesterday. We all decided to go and check out the electronics market before John had to go and sign our lease (yay!). Netta had to be persuaded as she just wanted to stay in the officetel by herself all day. We convinced her to go along with promises to check out the rolling ball museum while John went off to sign the lease.

We made it to the electronics market and were totally overwhelmed by the amount of electronics in the place. Hundreds of small stalls with everything you could think of. MP3's, tiny laptops, regular laptops, TVs, monitors, printers, keyboards, mice the list could go on and on. Anyway by the time we got there and found the place it was pretty much time for John to leave to sign the lease. We ate a quick bite together and off he went. Olive went to throw something in the trash and then decided to follow him - Netta and I turned around and she was gone. AAAAHHH - someone on the escalator (who had a better view than I did) pointed her out to me and she just said "dada". It was quite a scare for me. What was I thinking bringing a 2 year old to this huge foreign city? There are dangers at every corner and she is trying to push all the limits. It is a good thing she is so cute and sweet.

So once we found Olive we set off for the rolling ball museum. We were told that it was located at the basement of the Korean War Memorial so we found a cab which was no simple task. I had to point to it on a map and then was sent across the street to the other cab line. All this always with an opinionated wanting to do it myself toddler. We communicated, got in the cab and off we went. We got to the memorial - paid for the cab - Netta and I hauled the stroller up 6 flights of stairs and got to the ticket office only to discover that the rolling ball museum had moved. So we hung out at the war memorial looking at tanks and guns - not my idea of a fun afternoon - it was hot and Olive just wanted to jump in the fountain. We got another cab and made our way back to the electronics market to meet John.

We met John - bought a router so we can be online in our new apartment and then headed home. We got take-out from the place in the first floor of our building. Fried but not overly processed chicken and shrimp. Then home for the night.

Kind of a wacky day as all the days seem to be right now. Getting used to a new place - everything is hard work - the simple tasks that take no effort at home are complicated here. The language is a huge hurdle- it makes it hard to communicate. Although everywhere we go there are sweet people trying to help and ogling at Olive and Netta. In fact people keep asking to take our picture which I don't quite understand but can't seem to refuse as Olive and Netta seem fine with it. One guy even put his arm around me in the photo (John was not there for that one).

So today was another exciting adventure. We found a thrift store. No furniture there which is mainly what we need but lots of clothes and household stuff and some toys. It was fun to check it out and Netta found some clothes, I found a toy for Olive (she was asleep at the time) and John found a weird instrument that I can't remember the name of but kids learn it in school here. I'll add the name when John gets home from walking Olive to sleep.

Olive is having a hard time falling asleep here I guess it is the one room and all the newness. I'm hoping it will pass. I know it will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment