Thursday, July 1, 2010

hot, tired, overjoyed

It is hot and humid and incredibly uncomfortable. I returned from the confusing and long errand to open a bank account to find that the AC wimped out on us right in the middle of the afternoon heat. Elana and the kids were half-mad with the heat, and Olive had fallen off a chair, a goose egg gleaming on her forehead. I went downstairs to awkwardly communicate with the building staff, and a kind man who had lived six years in New Jersey helped out with translation. There's a lot of kind, helpful people in Seoul.

It is cool (despite the heat) to be here, reading hangeul all day long, getting lots of good practice in Korean. Some moments, it seems like a dream. I keep thinking I might do some work, but I the family would interrupt me after ten seconds max. The thing to do right now, the job of the day, is just to focus on being jetlagged and hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment