Saturday, August 28, 2010

The week in brief

So here it is Sunday again and not a peep has been heard on this blog all week. The time does get away from me. In fact I should be doing the dishes but I am leaving them to catch up here. We are going out to dinner tonight so the dishes shouldn't back up too much.

The week went well. Netta and Olive and I went to the thrift store this week and found lots of good finds. Some clothes for Netta, some toys for Olive and a big umbrella for me. The rain is so constant here and the little portable ones just can't cover Olive and I when I am holding her.

Wed. we had a playdate with the neighbors again. They fed us pizza and chicken nuggets. We brought a cake. The kids had fun and we got to go on their roof. They have a garden up there and an amazing view of the neighborhood. Netta even got some fresh hot peppers for John. It was a lovely time- they are the sweetest people.

I had my first solo outing this week on Friday. I went to meet up with some other ex-pat moms for a knitting group at a coffee shop in Itaewon. It was really great. I have been kind of lonely and starved for conversation. John can only take so much of my blabbering. Also just to be able to talk mom talk and be away from the kids for a couple of hours was refreshing. 2 of the moms are married to Korean men and the third mama ( who is actually becoming a mama in Oct -she is pregnant now) is here with her husband who is a researcher at Yonsei University. It was refreshing to meet some non-teacher/military mamas and here about their lives here. I had a simply lovely time. The subway ride without the toddler was amazing too. Watching Olive on the train is quite a job so it was nice to just be able to sit and read and space out....

Saturday John worked in the morning to trade for the time I got on Friday. Then we went out and had Netta's hair cut. She has been asking a lot and so we decided to do it before her school starts. She looks really cute. I will post photos next post.

Yes, you heard right Netta is starting school on Monday. She really wants to try out the local school to learn Korean and make some friends. So off she goes.... John's friend is helping us register as the whole process is baffling for us. It is kind of intimidating to me to send her to a place where I can not even communicate with her teachers or other parents. But I am trying to just trust in the process and allow her the opportunity. I know how great she is and that she will do great! I will keep you all posted.

This brings us to today. We are headed out to dinner with Joe and some of his teaching friends tonight - which will be another opportunity for socializing. John has rehearsal so it is just me and the kids until John can join us. I'm hoping it will be fun and I always appreciate the chance to not have to figure out food for us.

Life is just plodding along here. John is actually quite busy right now as he has been hired to give a lecture next week. Also a group from UCSC is arriving next Friday and John's music is being performed the week after. It will be a busy time I think. But nice to have a lot going on and friends here.

Missing home and would love to read comments......hint...hint...hint...

2 comments:

  1. Elana I LOOOVE this blog and only just figured out how to do comments DUHHHH!
    Netta's hair is very cute. Good luck at school - I guess it's today already
    Glad you got some "no kids" time with other women, Elana.
    Love as always Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Pauline - you get the posting the very first comment award!!!!!! Thank you!!!

    I will write about Netta's first day soon. It was a bit emotional for me so I will try to let some time pass before I blog about it.

    Elana

    ReplyDelete