Saturday, May 7, 2011

spring and lotus lanterns

So spring has finally really arrived in Seoul. There are flowers everywhere. This image of azaleas blooming from rocks is very common in Seoul right now. It is really lovely and had already stuck in my mind as a typical look during the springtime.
More views.....
This is a nice little walk way near my students house. I had a few moments there the other day and it was beautiful and so green...

Well Buddha's Birthday is coming up here and it is a big holiday. I think I have posted pictures of the temples with all of the lanterns. When we climbed Gwanak-san I really wanted one of the lotus lanterns that they were selling but at 30,000 won they were a bit extravagant for us. Luckily for us our local Global Center had a workshop to teach us how to make our own.
Netta and I went together and John was with Olive. It was really nice to have some focused time with my big girl. Here she is working on her lantern. It was quite a process and they came out really beautiful I think. Actually I now realize that I haven't photographed the ones we made. I will do that soon.
Netta gluing...
This is one of the examples they had on the table. So pretty.
Here is a photo of the whole group. There was one brave mom there with 3 small children. I was impressed but also glad that I had only one and a big one at that. They were nice enough to give us extra supplies to take home and share with Olive. Since the workshop Netta has made 2 more lanterns with the extra stuff.
Netta ....... Gotta love that girl!

We also celebrated Children's Day but that is for a different post-- which I will not write until after we get back from our little trip. We are leaving tomorrow to go to Gangwon-do with John's research advisor and his family. It should be fun ---they are great.

I will post about Children's Day and our trip next week.

Tickets home are almost bought---see you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment