Monday, May 30, 2011

Gut

Warning: this post is weird. There are graphic pictures of a dead pig in a mysterious ritual. (Mysterious to me anyway.)
We went to Incheon - a city that's part of the Seoul megalopolis, on the seaside to see a "gut" or shaman ritual. It was in a touristy area kind of like the Santa Cruz boardwalk.
Mostly, they only do things with dead pigs at a gut where they're trying to heal somebody. I don't think they were trying to heal anybody here; they just wanted to put on a rare show.
There's an altar with images of people, and stacks of food.
There was a clown character. There was a story, but... Sorry my Korean's not good enough to know what.


They were attacking the pig in a kind of ritual hunt-thing.
They stuck the pig on the pitchfork and carried it around. It was kind of disturbing.


These old guys were singing a folk song and playing percussion instruments. They were awesome.
Stabbing the dead pig...


Later on they cooked the head, but the rest of it was still raw. Then they put cut up pieces of the pig back on the pitchfork.
Then everyone started sticking man-won notes (about $10) in the pig's mouth, ears, and nostrils. I did too - one of the bills in the mouth is the one I put there. It's good luck. Also, they were giving out food and makgeolli, and putting on a great show, so I felt I owed them a man-won.
This is one of the singers. I like his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment