Friday, November 12, 2010

Foreign Food Market in Ansan

Hi folks - well it has been another busy week for us here in Seoul and now I have time to write about last weekend.

We had been wanting to visit a market that we heard about awhile ago so, when the Craiglister selling the humidifier we need for the winter was located in Ansan, off we went.

The market is in a neighborhood where a lot of people from India, Vietnam, China, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Pakistan, and other countries live. I was excited to try to find some cilantro and other ingredients and spices that I have been missing here. Netta has really been loving Dal and we needed more so I was hoping to find some there. I found the last bag in Itaewon but thought it might be cheaper elsewhere. It was really quite fun to wander through the market as it has a lot of Korean style but is different in many ways. There was cilantro ---yay and cheap too. I wish they had it in my neighborhood. We also discovered some yummy fried bready doughnutty thing that was from China.

We decided to have Indian food there, although I was tempted by the recommendation from the humidifier guy for Uzbeki food as I have never had it before. He said it was the cheapest and best foreign food he had eaten in Seoul - oh well next time. Netta was set on Indian so we found a nice little spot and had some yummy food. Too spicy for Netta though so in the end we had to get her some Pho from the Vietnamese restaurant. She tried to fill up on Naan ---haha!!

Next to the Indian restaurant I found a small Indian grocery owned by a Korean lady and found my dal (not cheaper) and some spices like bay leaves, cumin and even some ghee. Yay!!

It was a fun outing. Many of the folks spoke English as I guess it is the language they have most in common. The restaurant menus were in English and it made things easy - for an afternoon.

I'll post photos next......

No comments:

Post a Comment